Translate

Friday, July 20, 2012

Review: Say Hueque, Andesmar, CATA Internacional, ByT Argentina, Hilton

So, I decided to save all of my reviews of the various places that we stayed and services we used for one blog so people that aren't interested in hearing about these can just skip this post.  That way readers didn't have to sift through the other blogs for more interesting information.

Say Hueque
This is a company that made a presentation at our initial orientation when we arrived at the University of San Andres.  I understand why they say the are the "travel agency for independent travelers."  The people at the agency were extremely nice, so that part of the service isn't the problem - it's the support and actual value.  I almost used them for my trip to Iguazu, but what they were quoting for $510 - I found for $350.

I know that travel agencies offer the value of not having to figure some things out for yourself, so initially I felt better that I booked the Mendoza trip through a travel agency when the bus companies went on strike.  I sent my representative an e-mail, so she decided to call the hotel - I wasn't there.  She didn't reply to my e-mail until after I returned to the hotel and they told me I had a phone message from her.  I asked her about options to get back to Buenos Aires and her best advice was to just wait.  I ended up finding an airline ticket that could be reserved for up to 6 hours without payment.  I went ahead and reserved a plane ticket for the next day and then not having to pay for it, but had the strike continued at least I would have been able to return to Buenos Aires.

Overall:  I would not recommend this agency - for the amount of support they offer, you are better off just booking it for less yourself.

Andesmar
This was my favorite bus line - we took it going to Mendoza.  If I have advice for travelers in Argentina it would be to use the Omnibus service.  If you have the extra $25 USD it is MORE than worth it to take the "cama suite" option on the lines.  The seats recline like a bed, you get your own t.v., they have curtains, the seats are leather and the food is better.

Cama Suite on Andesmar
Also, the added bonus on Andesmar is that you get to play BINGO and the prize was a bottle of wine!

Overall:  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

CATA Internacional
This is the bus line we took returning from Mendoza to Buenos Aires.  It was comparable to Andesmar because we booked the "cama suite."  The difference was the shocks on this particular bus was probably due for maintenance because it was a little bumpy at times.  The service was still good, but there was no BINGO.  Also, they only had one of the movie options in English with Spanish subtitles.  Both bus lines offered your own selection of movies.

Seats on CATA Internacional
Overall:  Recommended

ByT Argentina
This is a service that was recommended to me from one of my professors.  There is a search engine and you can rent an apartment that comes fully equipped for less than many of the hotel rooms.  The minimum stay is generally 3 or 5 days depending on the apartment.  The other catch is that you have to pay in U.S. Dollars - so you will have to come prepared.

Also, with this service I would recommend booking the transfer through their company to the apartment.  It is only $190 ARS Pesos, but they organize a car that will take you directly to the hotel you have rented.

They are kind of willing to work with individual situations and arrival times - so that helps and they will help you determine how long it will take to get to the airport and will be waiting to receive you at the apartment.



The apartment above was bigger than many hotel rooms in the city and it had T.V., WIFI and local calling included for $75 a night.  You are able to search by the area of town you want to stay in.

Overall:  Recommended 

Hilton
Hilton Buenos Aires is where we are staying on our last night in Buenos Aires.  I would recommend booking this through a website once you are in Argentina if you have the chance.  Some of the discount website like Despegar will give you a better rate in Argentine Pesos than you can get from the states in U.S. Dollars depending on the exchange rate you are getting from your bank.



The above room was about $200 USD per night.  The service has been absolutely excellent and when we showed up earlier than scheduled check-in from our bus returning from Mendoza they gave us two free drink vouchers for the restaurant and free WIFI while we waited.  The check-in time is 14:00, but they got us into our room at 10 a.m. because they told us they knew we probably wanted to shower.

Overall:  Highly Recommended


If you have any questions about the services that I didn't answer above - please e-mail me.

Ciao,

Tim

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tim, which travel agency did you end up using for Iguazu?

    ReplyDelete