Translate

Monday, June 25, 2012

Buenos Aires: The Paris of South America

After our Spanish classes were done today there was a coordinated walking tour through certain parts of the city with the same title as this post.  This tour explained some of the architectural influences throughout the city that were inspired by various European countries.

I am not particularly good with this type of information, but the buildings were beautiful and the information was relatively interesting.  I can't recite it all verbatim so pictures of some of my favorite buildings will have to suffice.

This building was magnificently large... and it was a single family residence.  I can't imagine one family needing this much space.
If I understood the Spanish of the tour guide correctly, this building was built in the 1930's.  It is still large by today's standards and I can only imagine how people felt looking up at it 80 years ago.
This building now is the Ministry for International Commerce.  
This is one of the interior gardens of the Ministry for International Commerce.

The two buildings above obviously have very different influences on their individual style.  They are positioned as they are pictured with the one of the left on one side of the intersection and the one of the right on the other.  It was an interesting juxtaposition.

I was a big fan of the entrance to this building.  This was at one time the U.S. Embassy.  Now it houses the Latino American Art Museum.  
Perhaps my favorite sight of the whole day though was impromptu.  As I was walking home and the sun was going down I was right by the Obelisk that sits in the middle of 9 de Julio (a large street with many, many lanes of traffic) and noticed that the sky, moon and obelisk looked amazing.

In this picture I really like the way that the sky looks and the angle of the obelisk.

I then realized from this angle you can see the moon on the top left of the obelisk and had to snap another photo.
Sometimes beauty is found when you are least expecting it...

Ciao,

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment