Translate

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Week 2 - Food Review

Yesterday sightseeing was a little bit of a bust because we didn't make it to the Manzana de las Luces tour on time, but it's because we waited for some delicious food at a small restaurant in the Palermo district.  I will share some of my opinions thus far, reserving the right to change those opinions as I am able to eat more and more food.

Best Pizza:  Thus far this has been a place called Pizza Donna that is actually near my house. They have flat bread pizza that always has extra cheese and less marinara sauce.  I haven't tried a pizza that I haven't liked from this restaurant.  I also have tried their dessert and café con leche which was pretty delicious.  Below is a picture of a chocolate postre that I had there.

Most Interesting Pizza:  I just tried the El Cuartito pizza from a restaurant of the same name.  We figured it was appropriate to try the pizza made specially there.  It had red bell peppers, green olives, cheese, ham, tomato slices and baked eggs.  I was skeptical at first, but it turns out that it was delicious.

Best Breakfast:  Oui Oui is a small little restaurant off of Nicaragua street that we waited 45 minutes outside in the cold to try.  Luckily it was worth it! I had a fantastically delicious french toast dish and interesting fact... they only serve honey with the french toast and not syrup.

Best Restaurant Dessert:  This also goes to Oui Oui - I am imagine this may change because I haven't been having a lot of dessert in a lot of places, because after dinner I am usually full.  They don't eat dinner until about 10 p.m. here and so if I want a dessert dish it is usually most acceptable to eat that around 5:30 p.m. with some coffee.  This dessert was an apple crumble with their version of vanilla ice cream on it.  It was only 23 pesos, which was quite a deal.

Best Packaged Dessert:  I bought some Alfores from the supermercado (supermarket) when I first got here. I have tried others because they are pretty frequently available, but I have to say the version made by Havanna and packaged for the delight of the masses... is still my favorite.  This is a picture of my favorite version (they come in many varieties).

I already posted about Milanesa earlier in another blog post and the one I had at my house was pretty amazing, but I am open to trying it other places.  I am still trying to determine the best empanada.  I thought I had it picked out at this hole-in-the-wall place that is down the street from my house, but when I had the chicken stuffed empanada I had to pull out the bones... and even though it was really delicious - I don't think I would recommend it.

Ciao,

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment