Translate

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Uruguay Part I

This morning I scheduled a ferry out of Buenos Aires for Colonia, Uruguay for about 16 of the students that are on our trip.  I have to say that this trip is HIGHLY recommended if you are going to be spending some time in Buenos Aires.  It is a great change of pace and the ride over isn't that bad.

This is the buquebus terminal that we were departing in.  
One thing that I found interesting is that the Argentine and Uruguay customs agents are all of the Argentina port so my passport was stamped by both agents one after the other.  Our ferry left about 30 minutes late, but from what I can tell... that is actually pretty routine here.

Duty Free shop and foyer in the ferry.

Live Entertainer: Singer
This woman was a pretty fantastic singer... I may just be saying that because all of her songs were in English and I knew what they were, but I was happy that she was on board.  The trip from Argentina to Colonia was 3 hours, but there were plenty of refreshments and things to do.  I purchased some fantastic things from the duty free shop.  The lady there told me that you can buy $500 US when you enter Uruguay, but only $125 on your way back to Argentina because of the difference in the customs laws.

When we arrived there was a pretty awesome island with a lighthouse, but it was pretty foggy so it was difficult to see.


We arrived in port just fine and then I rented an exceptionally awesome thing:

Thrifty Golf Cart 
This is a golf cart that I rented.  I really wanted a buggy or something a little faster, but this is all they had left.  It is amazing... you can drive them just like any other car, they have lights and other things and prevent you from having to walk ANYWHERE.  Also, there is a horn.  It keeps you dry in inclement weather and my guess is that it has already been worth the $60 I will pay.

Hostel Espanol - View from our hallway
Our hostel is pretty nice considering that is only costs $16 USD per night and we are only staying there one night.  We get a locker, towel and bar of soap... which is more than some offer.

We had a very nice lunch, which I will write about later in another edition of my favorite foods, because it was amazing!  We did some sight seeing in the barrio historico in town and then went to one of the beaches. The picture below is one of the views from atop one of the rock ledges.

Barrio Historico Beach
 When it got a little darker we went to take pictures of the lighthouse.  I have plans to go back tomorrow and try and take a tour inside and more pictures, but it looked quite majestic at night.


Another day in Uruguay tomorrow...

Ciao,

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment